Sunday, June 30, 2013

Quick Update

Busy, busy, busy!  Phoenix and I have been super busy the past week or so.  Busy enough with work, driving, Phoenix, more driving, etc., etc. that I haven't had time to update this.

We finished our marathon of daily training with the trainer and we've now graduated to a once per week schedule.  Progress will slow down considerably but that's OK because it'll give me time to get myself up to par.  My relationship with Phoenix is quickly evolving to one of trust and respect and I like that.

He's still testy (tries to nip me at least once a day) but that's all right and the fact that he's doing it is really my fault anyway; I didn't know how to lead so he took over initially but that's changed thanks to Jim, our trainer.  P's definitely a lot more respectful and willing than he was a couple weeks ago which is wonderful.  I'm not quite sure I have his complete trust yet but we're getting there. 

P's feet are improving at a much faster rate than I'd have imagined they could thanks to regular exercise and a clean pen. The verdict's still out... not sure about his front feet yet but his back feet are starting to look normal and that's great. Gonna give those fronts a few more weeks (and Phoenix a few more weeks to get used to the idea of standing still for the farrier as well) and then we'll see what to do next.

As a way to decompress from our training sessions I've started spending 10-20 minutes every day playing in his pen/paddock/whatever you want to call it with P.  It's good bonding time, I think and we both have fun.  Most of it involves us playing chase around a large hill of dirt.  Sounds silly, and it is but it's fun for both of us and, like I said, good time to bond. 

One thing I noticed that changed the way he relates to me more than anything else: using the "join up" method.  It really works.

So, there's that.  I took a day off for the first time in a couple of weeks today and I really wish I hadn't.  I miss my horse.  Can't wait to get up to see him tomorrow.  Time to go break airplanes.

No comments:

Post a Comment